Friday, December 23, 2011

Malachim: Macabre and Majestic Messengers

With Christmas fast approaching I have been seeing holiday angels everywhere.  Now don't get me wrong, those angels are great, but it got me thinking about the insufficient representation of angels of death or even warrior angels.  Anyway, I decided to design a few angels of my own.

The first angel is more of a grim reaper.  She is carrying a large scythe and there is a human skull lying in the darkness ahead of her.  The second angel is a bit less macabre, even though she is also depicted without color.  Her hand is cupping a rose blossom, but the petals are still being blown away by the wind.


I created these designs in photoshop and I think they would make a cool stencils.  Sure, it would be a pain in the neck to cut out, but it would be awesome as a full size mural.  I would need to modify some parts of the designs so that I don't have any white areas completely encased in black, otherwise the entire piece would be removed when I cut out the black part.  I would also have to make them quite large since the designs are complex, and if they are too small it would be very difficult to cut out the detail in the wings and folds of the dresses.  Furthermore, when I started spray painting it all the little tiny points would curl up, and it would be impossible to get them to sit flat against the canvas.

That begin said, I would love to see them together in a mural of sorts.  Though looking at the combined design I think possibly there should be a third panel.


Also, while I was working on the project my sister started playing the song "We are Young" by Fun constantly, and I have had it stuck in my head throughout the angel making process.  Now whenever I look at the designs, the song starts playing in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment